The American Society for Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS) awarded a total of $96,000 to 10 new clinical research projects through its Cutting Edge Research Grant program. This program has awarded more than $1 million in clinical research funding since 2000.
This year’s recipients and their research projects include:
- Jerry D. Brewer, MD (Mayo Clinical Research, Rochester, Minn): A Phase II Randomized Controlled Trial of Educational Modification Sessions and Sunless Tanner as a Method of Reducing the Incidence of Tanning Bed Use in Young Adults.
- Pooja Chitgopeker, MBChB (University of Iowa Department of Dermatology): 1550-nm Non-Ablative Laser vs Ablative 10,600-nm Carbon Dioxide Fractional Laser in the Treatment of Surgical and Traumatic Scars: A Comparison Study on Efficacy, Treatment Regimen and Cost.
- Conroy Chow, MD (University of California, San Francisco): Prospective Evaluation of Complications in Dermatologic Surgery Associated with Hypertension.
- Ian A. Maher, MD (Saint Louis University): Examining Body Image Concerns in Patients with Head and Neck Skin Cancer as well as Mohs Micrographic Surgery’s Role in Improving Body Image.
- Emily Newsom, MD (Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center/Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY): Modernizing the Mohs Consultation: Instituting a Video Module for Improved Patient Counseling and Satisfaction.
- Bichchau (Michelle) Thi Nguyen, MD (Tufts Medical Center, Boston): Preoperative Acetaminophen and Carbohydrate Loading to Reduce Pain and Improve Functional Status in Patients Undergoing Mohs Micrographic Surgery for Non-Melanoma Skin Cancers.
- Jill S. Waibel, MD (Miami Dermatology and Laser Institute): Repigmentation of Hypopigmentation: Fractional Laser vs Laser Assisted Delivery of Bimatoprost vs Novel Epidermal Melanocyte Harvesting System.
- Douglas Wu, MD (Cosmetic Laser Dermatology, San Diego): A Randomized Evaluator-blind Trial Comparing Microfocused Ultrasound with Subsurface Monopolar Radiofrequency for Lifting and Tightening of the Neck.
- Ashley Wysong, MD (University of Southern California): Integration of Patient Satisfaction, Functional Status and Quality of life in Determining Appropriateness of Skin Cancer Treatment in Elderly Patients.
- Yaohui Gloria Xu, MD, PhD (University of Wisconsin-Madison): Histologic Evaluation of Cutaneous SCC Debulk Specimens Prior to Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Its Influence on SCC Staging.