New data from The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (The Aesthetic Society), shows that Americans spent more than $2 billion on silicone gel breast implants and injectables in 2018 alone.
- 329,914 breast augmentation procedures were performed in 2018 by plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery
- 88% of those breast augmentation procedures consisted of silicone gel implants
- $1,146,936,553 spent on silicone gel implants in just one year
- The number of breast augmentation procedures performed has increased by 15% in the past five years
- 2,671,130 injectable procedures were performed in 2018
- 67% consisted of botulinum toxin injections and 30% of which consisted of hyaluronic acid injections
- A total of $1,155,509,471 was spent on injectables last year
- The number of injectable procedures performed has increased by 39% in the past five years
The figures demonstrate that breast augmentation continues to be one of the most popular surgical procedures nationwide, with a 15% increase in the number performed in the past five years, and that silicone gel implants are the preferred implant type in the United States.
The data also reflects that injectables are a perennially popular option for individuals seeking a more youthful appearance who aren’t yet ready to commit to a more invasive surgical procedure or are seeking aesthetic procedures which will enable them to stave off more invasive procedures for a longer period of time. Botulinum toxin has been the number one aesthetic procedure in plastic surgery practices since 1999.
Additional procedures, such as buttock augmentation and labiaplasty, once thought to be passing trends are anything but, with five years of continuous growth. Buttock augmentation has increased by 61% in the last five years, with more than 100 million spent in 2018. Labiaplasty has increased by 53% in the last five years with more than 35 million spent in 2018.
“The trends are not surprising and reflect what I see in my practice on a regular basis,” explains W. Grant Stevens, president of The Aesthetic Society. “With more women seeking options to aesthetically enhance every inch of their bodies, I’m not at all shocked to see that labiaplasty and buttock augmentation are becoming much more popular than ever before.”
[Source(s): American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, PR Newswire]