The rate at which men and women are choosing to undergo liposuction surgeries has increased worldwide by 1.4% from 2014 to 2015, according to the results of a global survey by the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.

In addition, the survey notes that the most liposuction procedures are performed in the United States.

Per the survey, 1,372,901 liposuction procedures were performed worldwide in 2014, and 1,394,588 procedures were performed in 2015—a 1.4% increase.

A media release from ISAPS notes that liposuction comprises 14.5% of the total number of surgical procedures globally performed by plastic surgeons. The majority (84.7%) are performed on females, while the remaining 15.3% are performed on men.

The United States performed the most liposuctions at 17.2% of the countries’ total procedures or 240,565.  Brazil comes in second with 182,765 procedures and 13.1% of their total surgeries.

“These numbers reflect the many options that patients have,” notes Susumu Takayanagi, MD, ISAPS president, in the release. “When patients find their efforts to eliminate stubborn areas are not working, they have a choice. By consulting with their ISAPS member doctors, they feel comfortable electing this safe, proven procedure.”

Results from this survey will be shared during the ISAPS annual conference in Kyoto, Japan, which is taking place October 23-27.

[Source(s): ISAPS, GlobeNewswire]