Every year, via the RealSelf Fellowship, online cosmetic surgery resource RealSelf provides financial support to volunteers who deliver medical care to patients and training to local surgeons in underserved communities around the world.
The following recipients were awarded the RealSelf Fellowship for 2017, according to an announcement from RealSelf:
- Dr Oumar Coulibaly, Mali physician traveling to Nepal with ReSurge International on November 15, 2017;
- Dr Matthew Hansen, Perth, Australia, plastic surgeon traveling to Tanzania with Rafiki on May 12, 2017;
- Dr Matheson A. Harris, Salt Lake City oculoplastic surgeon traveling to Haiti with Charity Vision and LDS Charities on August 27, 2017;
- Dr Jed H. Horowitz, Newport Beach plastic surgeon traveling to Mexico with Plasticos Foundation on June 22, 2017; and
- Dr Joseph A. Molnar, Winston-Salem plastic surgeon traveling to Mozambique with ReSurge International on April 22, 2017.
Each recipient receives a grant to be applied toward a humanitarian trip to an underserved location, where they will not only perform reconstructive surgeries for individuals who have suffered traumatic injuries or were born with correctible deformities, but will provide medical training to local surgeons.
“We feel fortunate to be able to support medical humanitarians who are donating their time to better the lives of people across the globe,” says RealSelf Founder and CEO, Tom Seery, in the release. “From oculoplastic surgery training in Haiti, to advanced burn treatment training in Mozambique, to plastic and reconstructive surgery training in Tanzania and Mexico, this group of Fellows will have a lasting impact on the communities they visit, with their teachings continuing to give back long after their trips have ended.”
The RealSelf Fellowship is open to physicians and surgical care team members who wish to volunteer their medical services or serve as volunteer educators to advance the skills of local doctors and staff in a range of medical needs. RealSelf evaluates applications annually, the release states.
Those interested in applying for the 2018 RealSelf Fellowship are invited to visit RealSelf to obtain more information or apply online. The deadline to apply is December 1, 2017. Award recipients will be notified on January 15, 2018.
[Source(s): RealSelf, PR Newswire]